Flying Solo

In this post, I'd like to talk about the point in a dancer's career when he or she goes solo.  There are many angles that lead dancers to this point but some of the common ones are:

  • Troupe disbands. 
  • Your artistic vision and voice differs greatly from your troupe.  
  • Your troupe is dealing with lots of conflicts and you are jumping ship. 
  • There's no one in town that does your dance style you want to practice.  
  • Because you're ready to be a soloist.  

No matter the reason or situation, first and foremost, be openly honest with your intentions, especially to your dance community and to your troupe director if you're in a troupe.  There's no shame in wanting to do things on your own and pursuing your artistic journey.

It can be a potentially awkward situation when a dancer wants to leave the troupe to become a soloist.  The other dancers may take it as rejection, even if that's not the intention.  Before that day comes, though, the first thing that needs to be done is have a conversation with the troupe director.  It's good etiquette but also it's extremely beneficial.  A troupe director is also a mentor who can nurture your artistic needs.  She may provide more solo opportunities in performances or help book some solo gigs.  If your artistic style is just too different from the troupe, and you're ready to get out there on your own, your troupe director will be a valuable asset.  If she's worth a damn, she would want you to succeed and will do all she can to help.  She can make your leaving a lot easier and a positive experience.  Not to mention, just because you're leaving the troupe does not mean you have to terminate your relationships: you're still a part of the same community.  And again, your former troupe director can still be your mentor.  Mentors are extremely important to have.

In my case, I decided to set up shop on my own in both Monticello and Hot Springs.  In my "Transplanted..." series, I mainly focused on joining others because as a transplant, it's the easiest way to grow roots in the community.  You can, however, successfully become a soloist or start your own troupe even if you're a new belly dancer in an existing dance community.  I highly recommend on integrating into your community first, which means focus on networking in the beginning, and again be openly honest about your intentions.

When I first arrived Hot Springs, I was still in the depressing funk from living in Monticello.  Ready to quit it all.  I basically had to be nursed back to health.  I took classes from Bella*Raqs and Unveiled.  Both of the troupe directors knew about ATS® and how different my style was from their styles.  I taught a little bit when requested and performed a few times at their haflas.  At the time, I didn't even consider setting up shop in Hot Springs.  I had no idea that I would 9 months after I arrived.  I mainly focused on my relationships with other dancers instead, but eventually I got the itch.  The first thing I did was inform my dance community.  That was easy because I had unknowingly built a strong network.  After a slow transition, I started regularly teaching weekly classes at Emergent Arts and performing quite often.  More than what I had a couple of years ago in Monticello, AR.  I guess you can say I am a born-again belly dancer.  I know for certain that my transition was a success because of how supportive the dancers were in my new community.  I taught my first class at Unveiled World Dance Studio and majority of my first students came from Bella*Raqs.  The support from my community gave me the confidence to grow as a dancer.  I am deeply grateful.


Comments

Popular Posts