Winter Update


Realizing that the worst day of the year is only a month away, Daylight Savings Time Begin, makes me think "Hmm I haven't written anything on my blog for a few months."  Lots has been going on.  I'm glad that the move to Fayetteville, AR went smoothly despite the sleet.  The last time we did a big move my Kitten was four months old, very stressful.  This time with her being 2 years old, it was a little easier, if you don't count her climbing all over the skyscrapers of boxes.  They were just too tempting. 












Otherwise she just had to squeeze herself into small spaces, My Little Kitten.  It's funny.  We've been up in Fayetteville since November, and we're still unpacking boxes!  At least the house is livable now.   








Last Class in Hot Springs
My last class in Hot Springs was bittersweet.  I left feeling confident that my students can hold their own until I got my replacement in line.  I'm glad they are still dancing!  I'm also glad that there are a lot of resources to learn ATS® now.  Things like Skype and Powhow.  When I first started, I only had the DVDs.  But nothing beats dancing in a studio, cracking jokes, while learning an art form.
I'm old school that way.  

"Thank You" Cards 
I miss dancing with them!  Two of my students are artists.  It was always cool walking into Emergent Arts and seeing their artwork in the gallery.  I was so touched when they made me "Thank You" cards.  Such lovely going away presents.  No, I didn't get teary-eyed...  It was allergies...  Muneera printed her watercolor painting on the left one and Kelley Naylor Wise handmade the burlap one on the right.

Once I got setttled, it was time to work.  As a recruit of TerraNova Tribal, I performed separately at the "Last Night Fayetteville" festival on New Years Eve.  It was a perfect opportunity to perform a Tribal Fusion piece and dance with LED Poi.  I called my piece "New Beginnings."  I thought it was uncanny that I was ending and beginning the years with Tribal Fusion.  It was a symbolic performance for me.  It solidified my determination to shift my creative focus on Tribal Fusion instead of ATS®.  In my performance, I was trying to portray my love/hate relationship with Tribal Fusion.  I love the creative freedom it gives me, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it "right."  Whether it was right or wrong, I had an excellent response to the piece.  But still, I'm so anal about being a professional that it's frustrating not knowing absolutely if I'm representing the art form well.  The uncertainty cripples me creatively.  That's one of the many reasons why I'm going to Portland this year.  If Northwest Arkansas is not going provide an established Tribal Fusion Instructor, well then, I have no choice but to go out of state to find one.   

8 Elements Required Reading fresh out of the box!
Don't get me wrong.  I am very grateful for the community.  It's good to be back.  We are kicking up our Shimmy Mob campaign, and I have been learning lots from Isidora Hart.  After becoming an official member and TNT Instructor, my work with TerraNova Tribal keeps me busy for sure.  I'm going to teach ATS® classes in Van Buren later this month.  Setting up classes long distance requires a lot of work, but fortunately I have a lot support from the The Healing Art Center and their community.  Looks like we're are going to have a good turnout!

The biggest challenge right now is to find balance among all of the projects going on, plus my prepwork for the 8 Elements Initiate program, plus trying to be the best mother my daughter deserves. But I'm not going to lie, it feels good being busy.  

TerraNova Tribal at Last Night Fayetteville




















Comments

Popular Posts