So Why am I a Drifter?

Maybe because I move around so much.  Life happens.  Also the label, drifter, to me anyway sounds American, and I am an American.  I study American belly dance.  I can relate to the connotations that come with the word, drifter, even though they are strongly negative and derogatory in American society.  But so is "belly dancer!"  Besides, it's too politically incorrect to call myself a gypsy.  I don't feel primitive enough to call myself a nomad because I cannot survive without wifi or my smartphone.  If the zombie apocalypse happens, I'm screwed.  

A lot of times when I dance, I feel like a drifter in time and space.  I'm traveling the multiverse into other realities and alternate egos.  I can't just specialize in just one style of tribal belly dance.  I have an ATS® side, a tribal fusion side, a folkloric side, etc. etc.  I love it all, and I want it all.  So I will drift from one to the next, but I'm dedicated to each one.  They each exist simultaneously and separately.  I strive to become an expert and respect the roots of each style, yet I strive to have my own voice that is consistent no matter what style I dance.  It's a challenge and requires a lot of commitment.  

Good thing it's a lot of fun.​ 


Comments

Popular Posts