How I became a belly dancer...



Everyone has a story of how they became a belly dancer.  I love these stories!  So feel free to share.

I wouldn't be a belly dancer if it wasn't for a tenacious coworker.  

I'm a dancer by nature.  I have embarrassed my parents many times from dancing in the grocery store when I was a child.  Oh hell, I still dance in the grocery store.  Maybe when my daughter is old enough, I'll embarrass her as well.  I took ballet and jazz as a child.  In high school, I was in the color guard and danced in high school musicals.  College for some reason, I didn't dance much.  I did once at a party.  I guess I was trying to leave behind my childhood treasures and become an adult.  I am happy I failed.

So one day my coworker (now dear friend), Deb Weddle, invited me to take a belly dance class with her.  I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Sure, why not?"

It was an Egyptian Cabaret class.  Of course, I did not know that at the time.  I thought it was just bellydance.  Just like everyone else, I had no idea about the plethora of styles waiting to be discovered.  It was kind of fun, and we did a student performance at a spring festival.  But once that was done, I was done.  I saw it through to the end, but I was not interested in continuing.  That's a lot more than what most apathetic students would do.  I loved the way the body moves in belly dancing.  I just didn't appreciate the dancer persona and the attitude.  I'm not a girly girl, and I am awkward at flirting.  It's true, ask my husband.  

Deb didn't give up on me.  She brought a stack of DVDs and instructed me to watch them, literally.  

I confess.  I didn't watch all of them. I watched a couple all the way through.  One of which was a Bellydance Superstars DVD.  I'm about to fall asleep (I know! I'm sorry! That's just how I was as a baby belly dancer.  It's not who I am as a seasoned dancer.) until I hear some modern fusiony type of music. Through foggy eyes I watched these dancers creep onto the stage wearing dreads and tattoos and folkloric textiles.  I perked up immediately.  I was entranced by the radiating self-confidence and the deliberate muscle control. For the first time in my life, I experienced love at first sight.  I immediately called Deb and practically yelled, "What is that?  What is that?!" 

She said, "Of course you would love tribal.  I should have known."

By the next time I saw Deb she told me that she scouted the nearest Tribal belly dance workshop in Springfield, Missouri. Read My Hips was teaching a series of workshops over a weekend.  I wasn't for sure if I wanted to travel, then dance, then travel back home.  That sounded like a lot of work for something I just discovered.  (Of course this is no big deal now since it's something I do every year.) I think Deb suspected my hesitation, so she gave me another homework assignment.  Watch this video...


The first belly dance video I saw on YouTube.  After watching this video of Read My Hips, I knew that I'm in this for life.  




Comments

Popular Posts