Taking Classes as an Instructor or an Advance Dancer

Even as an instructor, I believe that there is always something new to learn, for knowledge is a flowing river.  So I take classes regularly as well as teach them.  I especially love taking classes from local instructors. It's my way to help support my fellow artists, and it's good to become exposed to different teaching styles.  Besides, sometimes I want to relax and just dance.  Teaching is a lot of work.

I always recommend advanced students to take beginner classes.  There's so much information in the basics that you may learn something you may have missed the first time around.  Plus, basic movements are so important because they are the foundation of the dance.  Fancy moves have no power when the foundation is totally lacking.  Basic moves also have a lot of complexity that we don't appreciate until we become skilled dancers.

Unfortunately, I have heard stories and personally encountered situations that involved quite a bit of drama in the studio.  The culprit is usually an advanced student or an instructor undermining the authority of the instructor teaching the class.  I hate it when it happens because it's a major buzzkill.  I get an endorphin rush when I dance, and conflict stresses me out.  I don't take dance classes to become stressed.  Life has got that covered, thank you.  What's unfortunate is that sometimes the culprit isn't even aware that he or she is doing it.  This is especially true when baby belly dancers grow into skilled dancers.  I hate to admit it, but I've been guilty of it, too.  Thankfully someone graciously brought it to my attention, and I did not take offense to the correction.  So to keep the good times rolling, there is an etiquette to follow.  

If you're an instructor, be sure to introduce yourself as an instructor and get permission to attend.  I have learned the hard way that you should do this well before you arrive class.  It gives the instructor time to mentally prepare.  Having an instructor show up to your class without warning is like having a surprise exam on a subject that you haven't studied at all.  Some dancers are more nervous when they perform in front of other belly dancers.  The same goes for instructors, since teaching is another type of performance.  Some instructors are suspicious that you're going to steal their material and teach it in your classes.  So if you don't get an invitation to come to class, ask if there are any upcoming events where you can show your support.  It's all about building trust.

If you're a highly skilled dancer who wants to revisit the basics or maybe learn a different style, you may not need to introduce yourself beforehand.  Of course if you're someone who has a reputation in your community, giving the instructor a heads up is recommended for reasons previously mentioned.  

When you do get the invitation, practice excellent etiquette.  The instructor may introduce you to the class as a guest.  If not, the students will quickly figure out that you're a skilled dancer, so show them how a student should behave.  By being a good example, you're inadvertently teaching the students good etiquette, so they don't unintentionally become a buzzkill in the future.  

Introduced or not, remember that you are a guest.  When I'm taking a class, I like to envision myself as a fly on the wall.  Find a spot in a back corner that will keep you out of sight from the majority of the students.  Don't show off your skills and draw a lot of attention to yourself.  When I was regularly taking an intermediate yoga class, there was a new student who was obviously an expert.  She took a spot in the front row and was showing off the advance variations of our poses.  She didn't speak out instructions or anything, but she was still a major distraction.  My instructor did her best to resist the temptation to compete in order to maintain her authority.  We were just intermediate students after all.  But there was still tension in the room, the one thing that should not be in a yoga class!  Later this "student" confessed that she was an instructor visiting from Chicago.  Figures.  Honestly, good or not, I wouldn't want to learn from an instructor who doesn't teach good etiquette as well.

As the class progresses, it's a good idea to keep questions to a minimum.  Asking a lot of questions will start to look like you're challenging the instructor's authority, even if you're just asking for clarification.  Never contradict the instructor unless it involves the safety of the students.  There's not much in belly dance that would put students at risk, anyway.  Remember that in tribal belly dance, different styles get fused, so there isn't an absolutely correct way to do certain moves.  The only exceptions are styles like American Tribal Style® or regimented group improvisation styles like the Hot Pot or Black Sheep Belly Dance formats.  If you are taking a class that teaches a highly structured style and notice that the instructor is completely wrong about something, wait until the class is over and all of the students have left before you mention it to the instructor.  Otherwise, the technique you're learning may be from a style you have never studied.

Sometimes the students may start asking you questions.  It happens for a variety of reasons.  The instructor is busy working with someone else, or maybe he or she is a little intimidating.  I always find this flattering, but I immediately become nervous.  It's not my class, so it's not my place to answer the question.  I usually respond, "That's a good question.  Let's ask the instructor," or "I think it's this way, but let's ask to make sure."  

In the end, it's all about having fun and building relationships with those who share the same love for the dance.  One last thing, I know that I'm pointing out the obvious, but as highly skilled dancers we need a reminder sometimes to gracefully accept critique.  After all we're taking the class to learn.  

Comments

Popular Posts